Highlights for 2017 – 2018
- Screening Application deadline: October 6, 2017
- International Thespian Festival: June 25 – 30, 2018
Chapter Select Showcase
The Chapter Select Showcase is a presentation of one-acts which takes place at the International Thespian Festival (ITF) in Lincoln, Nebraska. The Chapter Select Showcase features outstanding Thespian productions from chapters nationwide. Georgia Thespians will provide a grant of up to $5,000 to cover ITF registration fees for any school selected to perform in the Chapter Select Showcase. Participants must be registered for the entire festival and meet all festival deadlines.
- Each show has forty-five (45) minutes to perform, ten (10) minutes to set, and five (5) minutes to strike.
- All Chapter Select entries must be adjudicated at Georgia Thespian Conference by an evaluation team selected by the Chapter Director or the Chapter Board. The evaluation team may recommend one show and one alternate from a Chapter. The evaluation team will select the best production to represent a Chapter. The evaluation team submits their recommendations to the EdTA National Office. If the team does not see a production that warrants recognition, they may choose not to make a recommendation.
- If a school is invited to present a Chapter Select at ITF, the school will be sent an Acceptance Invitation along with more specific guidelines. The school needs to complete and submit the Acceptance Invitation by the announced deadlines in order to secure its spot in the Chapter Select performance venue.
The technical aspects of the show must remain simple. Guidelines are listed below:
- Sets and props: A prop is any item that will fit through a single door and can be carried by a single person. Set pieces are anything bigger. Hand props are items carried onstage by an actor in one hand. Set pieces and flats are not allowed.
- Lighting: A follow-spot is available, but must be requested in advance. General area lighting is available (stage right, stage left, up center, center, and down center stage) as well as blue and amber washes. Special lighting effects are not available.
- Sound: The theatre will provide a CD player, amplification, and speakers. Groups may use their own iPod or MP3 player through the theatre sound system. Mics are not permitted in this venue.
Troupes must secure written permission from the publisher for presentation at the Festival during Festival dates. Troupes are responsible for payment of royalties. Upon written request, some publishers will waive royalty fees for Festival performances.
If your school wishes to be considered for the Chapter Select Showcase at the International Thespian Festival, you must complete the Chapter Select Screening Agreement (in addition to all traditional screening documents) and mail it to the address provided on the Screening Agreement by the deadline.